Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

On Emergency Call to Kelantan

Thursday, May 14th. I received an emergency call just before 6:00am. Got up immediately to pack-up and had to leave for Kelantan by 7:00am.

Unfortunately just after passing through Sungai Besi toll plaza there was a massive traffic jam on E2 and MRR2 all the way till Hulu Klang. It took me almost 3 hours to arrive at Gombak toll plaza from my home in SKV - lost two solid hours already. Had to eat the remaining 380km in four hours. Quite a difficult task to drive on non-expressways with heavy traffic. The GPS navigator registered ETA 3:15pm! I must drive to the extreme to reduce the journey time by at least 1hr 15minutes in order to arrive at the final destination before 2:00pm.

I was expecting it could be done with the 308THP in less than four hours though! Nevetheless I had to set the speed limiter to 190kph only. I got spirited. I like the first 40km stretch on E8 Karak Expressway where I could push the car to the extreme limits before exiting onto Federal Road #8 towards Bentong.

By the time I left E8 the GPS registered ETA 2:50pm. Then at KLipis the ETA reduced 2:35pm... and kept dropping as I sped of but just after that I had to stop [by the order of traffic police] for 10minutes or so to give way to some kind of bicycle racing.
Then I kept on tekaning the accelerator pedal all the way. By the time I arrived GMusang the ETA was reduced to 2:15pm and kept dropping as I burned 30~40% more fuel per 100km than usual. At KKrai junction the ETA reduced to 1:55pm. With 5-minutes reserve I could slow down to the speed limits... finally arrived at the destination @1:57pm safely but the EP6DT engine consumed almost 3/4 tank of fuel. Previous economy RETURN trip KL-Kelantan-KL consumption was less than one tank of 60liter gasoline covering more than 800km w/o refuelling along the entire journey.

BTW, three other cars which had left Klang Valley 1-hour earlier than me arrived between 45-90minutes later! Id overtaken them around KLipis.

|Home|Fuel Consumption|Performance|uncles DIY|Car Size Comparison|

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment